You are here: Home » What minerals are there in thermal springs in Karlovy Vary
What minerals are there in thermal springs in Karlovy Vary
The water of the most powerful hot mineral spring, Vřídlo, rises to the surface from a colossal depth of 2,000 m. The height of the geyser’s stream reaches 12 m. In a minute, up to 2,000 liters of water saturated with carbon dioxide and minerals pour out of it. The Geyser Gallery has 5 bathtubs with water temperatures of 72, 57 and 41 ° C.
The Serpentine Spring (Hadí) in the Garden Gallery has been available to guests of the resort since 2001. It is the coldest of the thermal springs in Karlovy Vary: its water temperature is only 30 ° C. The mineral content in it is lower than in most others, but it is distinguished by a very high saturation of carbon dioxide, amounting to 1600 mg / l. It is easily recognizable by the original sculpture depicting a snake with a stream of water erupting from its mouth.
The waters of the Mill Spring (Mlýnský) have been known for their healing properties since the 16th century. It was previously used for mineral baths, but now it is mainly bottled and exported to many countries around the world. The CO2 content in water with a temperature of 56 ° C is 600mg / l. Near the vase, on marble boards, the lines “Ode in honor of a geyser”, written in Latin by Bohuslav from Gasishtein, are carved on marble boards.
The legendary source of Karla IV, from which the history of the resort began, is located in the Market Colonnade. It is considered. that it was in its waters that the Czech king washed his feet. In memory of this event, the artist Zikler carved a bas-relief depicting the discovery of Karlovy Vary above the water outlet in the stone. In terms of water temperature, which is 64 ° C, it is second only to the source of Vrzhidlo, the content of carbon dioxide in it is 400 mg / l. and the productivity is only 5-6 l / m.
The source of Svoboda (Svoboda) has been known only since the middle of the 19th century, but over the past years it has changed its name several times. Initially it was called Kurortny. then for some time it bore the name of Emperor Franz Joseph I, and received its modern name after the end of the Second World War. Its water with a temperature of 60 ° C is characterized by a CO2 content of 573 mg / l.
The Garden Spring (Sadový) was discovered by chance during the construction of the building of a military sanatorium in 1852. To bring water to the surface, a linden-tree gutter was built, which has been perfectly preserved to this day. Before the declaration of independence of the Czech Republic, it was called the Imperial Spring. Its water, heated in the bowels of the earth to a temperature of 47 ° C, contains 950 mg / l of carbon dioxide.
The Rusalka spring is one of the oldest in the resort, although from the 16th century until 1945 it was known as the New Spring. At the end of the 18th century. It was very popular, so in 1792 the first pavilion in the city was built over it, which was later replaced by the Mill (New) Colonnade. Mineral water with a temperature of 60 ° C contains 682 mg / l of CO2.
The lower castle spring (Zámecký dolní) was discovered in 1769. The water from it is brought to the surface in two places at once: you can taste it in the Castle Colonnade and on the Market Square. The water heated to 55 ° C contains carbon dioxide in the amount of 572 mg / l. Every minute the volume of water flowing out is 8, 6 liters.
The springs of Prince Wenceslas I and II (Kníže Václav) were discovered at the foot of the cliff in 1748. When the water was ejected, its stream rose to a height of 4 m and in its power it was comparable to the main source of the resort – Vrzhidlo. Water from it is supplied to the Mill Colonnade and to the Tepla River embankment. Previously, it was also used for the production of special medicinal salt. The water is heated to a temperature of 64 ° C and saturated with CO2 at a concentration of 514 mg / l.
The Tržní spring is located on the Market Square, and therefore it is also known under the second name corresponding to its location – Market Square. It is very unstable and periodically dries up, which periodically requires drilling a new well. It was first discovered in 1838. Its water heated to 62 ° C contains 400 mg / l of carbon dioxide.
The rock spring (Skalní) was improved in 1845, and before its waters flowed directly into the Tepla River. By 1850, a water conduit was built from the Tepla River valley, through which its waters, heated to 65 ° C and containing 700 mg / l CO2, enter a separate building near the Mill Colonnade. The decorative vase installed here receives 2.6 l / min of water.
The Upper Castle Spring (Zámecký horní) is accessible only to those who have a rest in the Castle Spa. Water differs from its lower counterpart by a higher temperature (up to 61 ° C) and a share of carbon dioxide equal to 763 mg / l. In the pavilion of the Castle Gallery, where it is located, the original decoration in the Art Nouveau style has been preserved.
The source of Libuše is mentioned in the historical chronicles of the city in the 18th century as the Spring of Elizabethan Roses. It was ennobled in the 19th century, when its four fontanels were brought together and the general flow was directed into one decorative vase. The constant temperature of its water saturated with carbon dioxide (552 mg / l) is 62 ° С.